If you need a healthy appetizer to serve instead of the usual chips and salsa or fried mozzarella sticks, these will knock your socks off…
They also look beautiful on a platter for a big party or game night. These babies have a sweet-and-salty thing going that makes them irresistible; I even eat them for lunch sometimes. They really hit the spot!
- 8 small sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1⁄4 cup diced red onion
- 1⁄2 jalapeño, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- to taste
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Rub each sweet potato with coconut oil and place on a sheet pan in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until they are fork tender.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, make the guacamole. Start by mashing the avocado. Add the tomato, onion, jalapeño, lime juice, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- When the sweet potatoes are done, cut each one in half and scoop out half the filling. Set the filling aside. Layer the black beans on each sweet potato half and then layer the cheese on top of the beans.
- Place them back in the oven to melt the cheese, 3 to 4 minutes.
- When the cheese is melted, take the skins out of the oven and top with a scoop of guacamole.
You may also enjoy reading What’s Cooking? A Q&A with Vani Hari, by Kristen Noel