As the weather changes, so does the quality of food, which is why it’s so important to pay close attention to where your fruits and vegetables are coming from.
With importation and exportation trades booming worldwide, it’s not enough to just ‘eat well’ anymore – if you’re serious about supporting your health, my number one tip is to start asking where your food comes from and how it was grown.
Essentially, the fewer miles your food has traveled to reach your grocery basket, the better for your health. To truly nourish your body, keep it real and fresh — even if those grapes from Spain look mouth-wateringly good, my culinary studies have taught me their nutrients have been seriously compromised during transit.
The recipe I share with you below is made from all kinds of health-supportive ingredients, the key one being banana. Look for locally grown, non-GMO bananas for this, and be sure to purchase them a few days before making this bread — the more ripe they are, the better, richer flavor they produce.
I created this recipe after seeing so many highly processed, gluten-filled versions offered under the guise of being a ‘healthy’ alternative, purely because the of word ‘banana’ in the title.
With my recipe, you can be confident you’re eating a wonderfully nourishing, health-supportive treat you and you loved ones can enjoy for breakfast, as a nutritious snack or perhaps even as a delicious dessert.
HEALTHY BANANA BREAD (free from gluten, dairy, sugar, eggs)
Makes: 1 loaf
- 300g (10 oz.) over-ripe banana fruit
- 60g (2 oz.) ripe pear
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350f (180C) and grease or line a loaf tin (L7.5″ x W3.5″ x 5″)
- In a food processor or blender: blend banana, pear and coconut oil until smooth.
- Add almond meal, buckwheat flour, vanilla extract, spices, salt and
baking powder and blend again until well combined. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides to completely incorporate all of the ingredients
- Pour mix into loaf tin and place in the oven for 45 mins or until bread
has risen, browned on top and a cake skewer placed in the middle of the
loaf comes out completely clean.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool in its tin for at least 10 minutes. Remove and leave to cool completely on a wire rack before slicing and enjoying!