Delicious, buttery, vegan cookies
These cookies are so buttery and flaky, your friends may not believe they are vegan. We recommend making several batches because these go fast.
Yield: 20-24 cookies
- 1 ½ cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup white sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons high-quality olive oil
- ¼ cup ice water, or more if needed
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Whisk together flour, sesame seeds, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oil and water. Fold into the flour mixture and stir until just mixed. Do not overwork.
- Turn dough out onto a sheet of parchment paper and cover with another sheet. Roll to a 1/8” thickness.
- Press out cookies using a 2 1/2” diameter cookie cutter. Using a small spatula, transfer cookies to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until cookies are lightly golden, 10-12 minutes, rotating the sheet halfway through cooking.
Note: Cookies can be served as is, or sandwiched with vanilla ice cream and topped with dark-chocolate sauce.
This recipe by Chef Barbara Rich was originally published in Natural Gourmet Institute’s “Healthier Holiday Desserts” e-cookbook.