Simple Tomato Sauce
Makes: 1 x 800g jar
- 1 medium brown onion, diced small
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 28oz. can whole tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon organic butter (optional – this will help thicken the sauce and add more flavor)
- Sauté onion, spices and herbs in oil in a medium saucepan.
- Once onion begins to brown and become caramelized, add in tomatoes and garlic and cover.
- Let simmer for 15-20 mins before adding in optional butter, then blending with an immersion blender to emulsify and puree ingredients. Stop at when you’ve reached your desired consistency – leave some tomatoes chunky or puree until completely smooth.
TIP: serve with pasta, rice, quinoa or zoodles. This sauce pairs well with a range of savoury proteins including: vegetables, chicken tenders, meatballs, mince and lasagna. Also works well as a thin salsa dip when left quite chunky.
Store in the fridge in an airtight glass jar for up to one week. Freeze for up to one month – be sure to leave at least 2 inches between the sauce and the jar lid as water expands as it freezes.
>Learn more about the author at danielleshine.com.