Vegan recipe for Keto-inspired roasted lettuce wraps that are light, yet satisfying with healthy fats and nutritious vegetables.
VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, AIP
PREP: 15 minutes
Roast: 45 minutes
- 2 medium orange or yellow beets (about 3 inches in diameter), peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch-thick wedges
- 3 tablespoons olive oil 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small shallot, cut into thin wedges
- 8 ounces fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large avocado, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 8 large Bibb lettuce leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a shallow baking pan, toss together the beet wedges, 1-1⁄2 tablespoons oil, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper. Spread the mixture in a single layer in the pan. Cover the pan with foil. Roast for 30 minutes.
2. Uncover, add the shallot wedges, and roast, uncovered, for 10 minutes more.
3. Add the asparagus and drizzle with the remaining 1-1⁄2 teaspoons oil. Roast, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes more, or until the vegetables are tender and starting to turn brown.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine the avocado, juice, chives, the remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and the remaining 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper. Mash to the desired consistency using a potato masher or fork.
5. To serve, stack the lettuce leaves to make four stacks of two leaves each. Spoon the roasted vegetables on top of the lettuce stacks. Spoon the avocado mixture evenly over the vegetables. Wrap the lettuce around the vegetables and avocado mixture and serve.
[Reprinted from Ketotarian by arrangement with Avery, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2018, Will Cole]
You may also enjoy 8 Proven Health Benefits Of The Keto Diet and Ketogenic Lifestyle by Alex Reed