Kale and Sweet Potato Cakes
Adapted from the Superhuman breakfast idea from Laura Hames Franklin
While kale recipes abound, these delicious cakes, packed with hearty sweet potato, will satisfy a deep hunger and nourish your body with rich nutrients!
- 1/4 sweet potato or yam, shredded
- 2 cups finely chopped kale
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 eggs, beaten kindly (For vegan version, make flax eggs by combining 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed with 3 tablespoons of water for each egg.)
- 1 tablespoon of olive, coconut, or sesame oil
- 1/4 sliced avocado (served on top)
- chopped parsley (optional)
- sea salt to taste
- chia seed
- favorite herbs (dill, oregano, etc.)
Heat oil in skillet, add onion and cook until translucent, add sea salt, kale, shredded sweet potato, and chia seed. Let cook until the sweet potato is tender and kale is bright green (5 minutes or so). Remove and place in bowl with kindly beaten eggs; mix together. Using a 1-cup measuring cup, scoop mixture from bowl into skillet; the mixture should make 2-3 large patties. Let cook in skillet for about 5 minutes until egg is cooked through. Add sliced avocado on top and a dollop of your favorite lacto-fermented veggies, such as Gingered Carrots or Sauerkraut by Hawthorne Valley, to add flavor and texture!
Learn more about Lysa Ingalsbe at bodyandsoulnutrition.com