Caffeinated beverages are enjoyed the world over, but too much of a good thing is not so good. Here are 5 tips for consuming caffeine in a healthy way
According to the National Consumers League, 85% of Americans consume some form of caffeine on a daily basis. Though caffeine isn’t necessarily bad for you, there are potentially negative effects if you don’t consume it thoughtfully.
There are some serious physical and psychological consequences from drinking too much caffeine:
- Digestive problems
- High blood pressure
- Increased Urination
5 Tips for Consuming Caffeine in a Healthy Way
1. Avoid Consuming too Much
Don’t consume more than 400 milligrams of caffeine daily. To give you a rough estimate, here’s a list of how much you would have to drink to consume 400 milligrams:
- 4.25 cups of normally brewed coffee (95 mg per cup)
- 17.5 cups of green tea (24 mg per cup)
- 5 energy drinks (80 mg per cup)
2. Don’t Drink on an Empty Stomach
Drinking coffee on an empty stomach can lead to anxiety, heartburn, and indigestion or intense mood changes.
- Mixing collagen powder into your coffee can help with digestion while also providing restorative benefits for your skin, muscles and joints.
- Try eating something with carbs, such as whole grain bread or fruit, prior or with your coffee.
3. Don’t Consume Caffeine Too Late
Caffeine suppresses adenosine — a chemical that causes you to be sleepy. According to one study, having caffeine within 6 hours before bed can decrease the amount of sleep you get by one hour.
- Try setting a rule for yourself so that you won’t have it after 2 PM or 3 PM.
- If you are highly sensitive to caffeine, you should also avoid soda and tea as well. Even though they have less caffeine, they can also lead to insomnia.
4. Watch Out for Staining and Brush Your Teeth
Caffeine can also impact your dental health. Coffee has tannins, an ingredient which causes staining by making color compounds cling to teeth. Solutions include:
- frequent brushing
- visits to the dentist
- using an electric toothbrush
5. Get Smart About Brewing
Coffee that’s way too strong will make you feel more jittery, anxious, and stressed. Never assume that what is right for a roommate or a partner, will work for you. Try out different methods and see which one works for your caffeine tolerance level.
- Stove-top espresso maker
- French press
As long as you are being smart about how much you’re drinking and its effects on your body, drinking caffeine can be a positive part of your daily routine.
You may also enjoy reading 5 Ways to Reduce Fatigue Through Minor Shifts In Your Lifestyle by Anna Kucirkova