This is more than just a program. It’s a movement.
-Reshma Saujani, Founder
Girls Who Code aims to provide computer science education and exposure to 1 million young women by 2020 and by virtue, close the gender gap in technology.
- In a room full of 25 engineers, only 3 will be women.
- Women make up half of the U.S. workforce, but hold just 25% of the jobs in technical or computing fields.
- While 57% of bachelor’s degrees are earned by women, just 12% of computer science degrees are awarded to women.
- Women today represent 12% of all computer science graduates. In 1984, they represented 37%.
- 100% of 2012 program participants report that they are definitely or more likely to major in computer science following the program.
You go girl! Go forth and be coding.