This yummy carrot ginger soup is healthy, hearty and easy to prepare
14 Carrot Gold Ginger Soup
Yield: 2 quarts
Servings: 4 (2 cup) servings
- 2 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, rough chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger root, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh turmeric, minced or ground dried powder
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 14 carrots, cut into 1” chunks (about 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 quart chicken broth (4 cups)
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can organic coconut milk
- Heat ghee / coconut oil in soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, ginger, turmeric and salt; saute, 8-10 minutes.
- Mix in carrots; cook until they begin to brown, about 10 minutes. If your pan gets too dry, add an additional tablespoon of fat to the pan.
- Stir nutmeg, white pepper and coriander into carrots. Sauté for one minute.
- Add chicken broth and coconut milk; simmer for 5 minutes or until carrots are fork-tender.
- Purée with an immersion blender until smooth. Taste for seasoning. If too thick, thin to desired consistency by adding more broth.
*Variations: add yams or squash; use fennel, cardamom, or curry powder instead of ginger